Tuesday, May 26, 2009

6 Years Ago (pt.4)

It was the day before Jack's expected arrival, which happened to also be Memorial Day. I had been in bed for nearly a week, and I was going nutso. I had things to do, I wanted the house to be perfectly clean and I wanted all the laundry done. I also needed a baby book. Bob was working, so I was home alone with my thoughts. I called my mother and asked her to come and take me to the mall to get a baby book. I had thought of everything you can imagine up to this point, but not that book.

She took me, and I walked. I just wanted to be out and about, I was feeling good and I didn't want to go back home. When I did get back, I walked around the house and looked at every inch of it. I was not only looking for dirt, I was thinking that this was the last day that our home would be child free. I was thinking about how some day he would be running around here, and locking himself in his bedroom. I was thinking about how one day I would call to him to turn whatever was loud down. Then I cried, because from the day I found out I was pregnant with him, I was terrified that he would be taken away from me, and here I was less than 24 hours away from seeing him.

That evening, my cousin and his wife came by with some gifts and Bob came home with a load of stuff from his co-workers. More stuff to put away! After they left, Bob and I decided to go to dinner, one last time as a childless couple. We sat in the restaurant, and it was later than usual. It was very quiet and very relaxing. I cannot remember exactly what we talked about, but I remember I had butterflies in my tummy and I was very nervous. We went home, and decided that since we had to be up at 4am to be at the hospital by 5:30am, we should just go to bed.

I layed in bed with my mind racing. I moved my head to the foot of the bed and tried that, but I couldn't sleep. I would wake up every few minutes and smile, or cry. Meanwhile, over on the other side of the bed, Mr. Cool was sawing logs. Throughout our entire pregnancy, Bob never showed so much as a slight indication that he was anything but cool and laid back, not a care in the world. However, the next day I would see a completely different person.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment